Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Birth Story ~ Miss B ~ Read with caution...

Before the details get away from me....We were set for the induction on Thursday night at 6PM. Not gonna lie... tough for me to drop off my girl knowing that I was getting ready to ROCK HER WORLD :) I knew beyond a shadow of a DOUBT that she was in her happy place with TiTi and Uncle L which made me just take a deep breath and get ready to re-focus...
 
 *special thanks to Momma Sunshine for the picture suggestion below..the outtakes deserve a post all on their own...special shout out to Uncle L for capturing our last moment as a family of 3-ish. :)
 We grabbed Amato's on the way in (bad choice on my part BTW but thank GOODNESS no one had to see it again :) and got checked in...
 Ah... the room where the "magic" was going to happen... and I was starting to FREAK OUT :)
 LAST EVER belly shots
 Speaking of WHOA NELLY...
So I was assigned a nurse... Allison... nope.. didn't get my sweet Pam but Allison was a cute young girl who honestly just wanted to make me happy :) I think she likes her job... and the Doc came into check me. I talked with the Doc and told her that cervidil worked well for me last time and my body just took over so I'd LOVE to avoid the pitocin if at ALL possible... When she checked me I was 3cm and 100%...uh... no reason for the cervidil and a SLOW plan for pit was talked about.

They needed to get my IV started for my GBS antibiotics and it was around this point that the CountryRents showed up to "hang out". Allison was not able to get the first one in and because I'm such a SCARDY CAT about needles she said she was going out to get her charge nurse to help. She and another gal came around the corner and before we knew it the other RN was HURLING herself at my parents and into their arms for a big hug! Come to find out she is the daughter of one of CountryDads best childhood friends. Fun :) She tried to get my IV in as well and ended up having success on her 2ND TIME. My arms are a bit of a mess ~ bleck. The CountryRents shuffled out leaving us with instructions to call at any hour to let them know about the news :)

So the pit was started at 2 which is the lowest they start it at (they can move it up to 20)....around 9ish

Here's the part where I have Husband sitting next to me snuggled in our bed at home with our new snugly baby giving me the details...

Husband and I tried to rest, him having better luck than I. I had been having pretty strong surges for a couple of days (hence the 3cms and 100%) so my body was starting to do what it knew it needed to...so I just tried to get comfortable in the WORST BED EVER and listened to my hypnobirthing on my iPod. Around 11ish they bumped my pit up to 4 and left me to just try and relax. I found that I just could NOT get a position that would enable to me to get comfy and it wasn't so much the contractions as it was my tailbone and the "options". They ended up bringing in an extra mattress for the top of the bed and a "cardiac" chair which was basically a recliner. I did like the recliner for a while and then had to move to an exercise ball. I had Husband move from his spot on the "couch" and into the hospital bed just so I could hold his hand and feel support. In the meantime the contractions started to space a bit and around 2ish and the Doc came into check me ~ I had moved to 6cms...and the Doc talked about breaking my water. I remembered with Minnie that once that happened I was OUT.OF.CONTROL. and I also knew I'd be "on the clock" so to speak...once your water breaks you HAVE to deliver within a certain amount of time because of a risk of infection so I said I really would like to avoid that...

Allison came in to tell me that the Doc wanted to bump up to 6 on the pit and that we could turn it back down if we needed to... and OH BOY did we end up needing to... very shortly thereafter the contractions were coming much harder... I ended up just sitting on the edge of the bed holding onto Husband's hand and having to REALLY work through them. Allison was kneeling in front of me trying to get Miss B on the monitor and having a rough go of it because she was in a weird position... BUT other RN's were coming in saying she HAD to get a read on her or they were going to intervene... thankfully she did and I am so appreciative of my poor RN on her knees in front of me getting my baby's heart rate :) With the pain I got the shakes pretty bad and this went on for about an hour from 4 to 5AM and the Doc came back in to check me because they figured I'd been going through transition... she came back with... "you are at a 9 and I think if we break your water we have a baby in 5-10 minutes"... that was ALL I NEEDED TO HEAR at that point...

They got me situated in the bed and broke my water ~ I immediately asked if it was clear and they said there was Meconium in the water so the NICU docs would be called but that if she cried right away they would do their check and she could come right back to me... then the pushing... whew doggy... thank GOODNESS this time it did NOT last for 4 HOURS... about 15 minutes and I was asking them "please guys... HELP ME!!!" The Doc said, "you get her out to her ears and I'll help you..."

Husband's version of what happened next "Head came out, Doc put her hands behind the back of her neck and under her chin and started pulling... the girl was from Alaska so she was a tough cookie but then the four nurses , two on each side, started spreading your hips and jumping on your belly..."

They thought her shoulder was going to get stuck and she was going to get a dislocated shoulder... SO THANKFUL she did not... she went right to the NICU docs in the room and cried immediately so they were happy...a picture I wanted this time since I missed the whole thing the first go-round...
 Had NO.IDEA. my girl was 10lbs... I mean I know I FELT huge but I thought that was just "normal" end of PGCY "huge"....
So with the birth came some trauma to my girl... she has a couple of black eyes and two pretty big hematomas on the top of her head making her head look heart shaped... the black eyes are starting to fade a bit and the hematomas will go down in a few months... I'm just SO thankful that she was healthy, came out au natural and we went home sooner rather than later. I do SO love my babies MORE when they are OUT.OF.MY.PERSONS. :)

3 comments:

Mama H said...

LOVELY story for a Lovely Mouse! *wink*

capener said...

Thanks for sharing!!! :)

~*~Heather~*~ said...

You ROCK the au natural! And now it's time to focus on the rocking and loving on your babies!