Friday, May 13, 2016

RA ~ The Update

Here's where we are at....

Back in March I met with my PCP... she told me some blood work I had done did show a positive Lyme test... I talked to her about how DONE I was with the pain and that we needed to move forward... she agreed and asked me to meet with the new RA doc and she also suggested I get an appointment with a Lyme literate doc...

She pushed through the referral for the Lyme doc and I am not able to get in to see him until the end of August...

In the meantime, I went to see the NEW RA doc on April 20th. While I was getting ready that morning I was thinking about things that he might say that would encourage me to know that I was on the right path of healing and accept this diagnosis. One thing that ran through my mind was if he talked to me like I was his daughter, sister, or other family member...

Within minutes of sitting down with me, my history and what I am currently going through for pain, he said... "If you were MY daughter... I'd be on my hands and knees BEGGING you to take this medication"....

So... the first line of defense with RA is always Methotrexate. Aka....chemo. The dosage that RA patients take is FAR less than cancer patients but you can have similar side effects....

The first week I took 4 pills on Monday and then folic acid once a day every day from now on.... by Monday night I was definitely sick to my stomach and had no appetite. On Wednesday afternoon I had to pull my car over on the side of the road so I didn't get sick IN it....

The next week I took the 4 pills again and the side effects were SO much more MILD. I didn't have much of an appetite but I didn't feel like I wanted to toss my cookies... I feel a little more rundown Tues/Wed but overall not too bad...

This past Monday I took the 8 pills that is the "normal" dosage.... Praising Jesus that my side effects were just like the week before with the 4 pills. Again, I don't have much of an appetite but that is fine... and sleepy for a couple of days....but definitely doable.

I go back to see the RA doc in June for blood work to make sure the drugs are not killing my liver and to see where my pain is at.... so far... it is still the same. My wrists, shoulders and chest bones are the worst... but praying there is some relief in the next few weeks... it will be summer soon after all ;)

No comments: