Thursday, December 1, 2011

MY version of "Cake Wrecks"

The inspiration ~ THIS is the trouble with Pinterest*!!!! It all started well enough on Friday AM...and I worked on coloring all the homemade fondant. Friday night I cut out and added detail to all the feathers that I planned to use... Took me about an hour and 1/2 for just the details I did on Friday night. Frozen cakes Saturday AM...


Husband came out of the woods to do the constructing... with his little sous chef... :)

In his words "there is enough wood in here to light a FIRE"...

BUT the cake WAS upright!!!



Saturday while Minnie was sleeping CountryMum helped by working on the kid's favor bags while I spent about 2+ hours cutting out and assembling all the paisley pieces. CountryMum also distracted Minnie and helped by keeping her out of the kitchen :) Right after Minnie went to bed Husband and I tackled the fondant assembly. We had already noticed at that point that the cake was starting to "lean" a bit...I worked quickly to roll out the fondant so we could try to hold the whole cake together AND UPRIGHT with the frosting...





Making sure we get the right size piece of fondant for the head. You don't want to mess with this stuff too much...




Didn't seem to matter though because as Liz said... the head was TOO heavy for the body and the owl had to be decorated "asleep" instead of standing up like I had wanted. I tried not to be too disappointed because REALLY at that point... WHAT am I going to do?

Couldha, shouldha, wouldha....didn't matter at this point...

Finished product when I went to bed that night... I guess it didn't matter too much that it was LAYING down instead of standing up :)










*img source

2 comments:

capener said...

You did an AMAZING JOB!!!

~*~Heather~*~ said...

I love the "gut deer" shirt on the man who is decorating a cake!! :)