Monday, August 15, 2016

Miss B vs. Defense

As soon as I hung up the phone with CountryMum I came outside to the camp fire. The girls had roasted their allotted 3 marshmallows and Miss B was beggin' for more ;) Husband and I were chatting and hanging out and the girls started to race around the yard... Defense decided to get in on the action and took lap around the camp... when he came around the backside at full speed ahead....he never saw her and she never saw him....she went down like a sack of potatoes and of course started crying... I rolled my eyes at Husband (annoyed with the dog) and went to scoop her up... she was holding her arm and saying "my arm hurts my arm hurts!" so I held onto her forearm and I could FEEL the break... I yelled to Husband "her arm is broken" which then of course sent Minnie into hysterics and Husband tried to assure me that it wasn't and we'd just get some ice on it... I let go of her arm and saw her wrist wiggling in a way it just should NOT and said... "it.is.broken."
 
So we quickly threw water on the campfire, I threw some snacks into my purse, Minnie put the dog in his crate, I changed back OUT of my jammies and we headed for the closest hospital.... 50 minutes away down windy, bumpy, mountain roads....it was the LONGEST trip ever. Miss B was handling it all pretty well... crying a bit here and there but for the most part she was OK. Right towards the end of the trip she was starting to fall asleep and begging that I let her but I was worried it was shock so tried to keep her awake... she did stay up until we got into the ER. They quickly got her into a triage room, weighed she and Husband together and figured out the dose of Motrin she could take... it wasn't long after that that we went in to x-ray.... again... never leaving her Daddy's arms. Then... once we were checked into our "bed" (a room full of them for other patients.. thankfully only one other was taken) she used her defense mechanism....

and so did he....

The ER doc looked at the pics with us and we all saw the obvious. Both bones were broken and he was thinking that they would probably heal without having to be "set" but he really wasn't sure. By this point it was after 10:30 and I just really wanted to get HOME. I asked them to splint it so that we could just make it home the next day... her BIRTHDAY... and see our orthopedic doc... (AS IF at age 4 she has her own ortho doc...) and they agreed... she woke up to have the splint put on and did great... everyone was so sweet to both the girls giving them pillows, beanie babies and stickers.... we made it back to the cabin by around 11:45, got everyone situated in different beds and at 12:08AM when I finally climbed in next to Miss B I looked at her and sang Happy Birthday... she slept OK (Mom didn't) until about 3 when she stirred a bit but that would have been when the pain meds were wearing off... and then we made it until about 7AM....

Husband and I furiously packed up everything, cleaned the camp and then I DID manage to take a couple of pics of the inside of the cabin... such a cozy spot.... 


the dirty crew ready for the 3+ hour ride home...

Birthday Girl splinted up and ready to go...

 
I called the ortho office when we were on the road and they had availability for 3:40 that day... we made it home by 2 and thank GOODNESS SIL Bets and sweet MIL were in the area... they helped haul some things in and entertain the babies so that we could take showers and get ready to rock and roll.
Pic courtesy Bets

Pic courtesy Bets

Pic courtesy Bets
Minnie went to MIL's with them and Husband and I took Miss B to the doc FULLY expecting that he would just cast her up and we'd be good to go....
 
No such luck... he said that it needed to be "set" and he'd have to do it the next day. He said he thinks it is cruel and inhumane to do it without knocking people out so she'd need to fast and try to get onto the OR books for first thing the next AM but told me they would have to call me to set that up... I just couldn't let her eat. AWESOME.
 
THANKFULLY what we all hoped would happen did... and she was put as a high priority. They called Thursday AM and said "how soon can you be here" and we zooted to the hospital. Sweet Dawson and Sky came to pick up Minnie so she could enjoy the great outdoors instead of sitting all AM.... 

I was an absolute WRECK. They gave her a sedative and then let Husband go back with her to put on a mask which helped her to fall asleep before they did the IV... Husband came out to the waiting room with me and it was about 5 minutes later that the doc came out to tell us it was done. We waited another 30 minutes or so for them to come to get us and they had warned me that kids coming out of anesthesia are often crying, screaming, hard to console and even the Mom's can't do it often times....
 
The RN that came to get us was laughing... she said "we had a hard time coming to get you because we are just having so much fun with her... is she ALWAYS this fun!?!?!?" :) So happy SHE was HAPPY.....

Silly medically drunk-o


We did have a bit of a snafu when we were getting ready to leave. We told her that we had to get up and get dressed and I think because of the weight of the cast being different, the meds and the fact that it really was sore she was doing a lot of screaming and freaking out but that really only lasted for about 15-20 min. We got her home...had lunch and she and I BOTH took a 2 hour nap and woke up feeling better...

In fact, this is what she looked like when "Bob" and Aunt Nancy brought us a pizza (SWEETIES) so that I didn't have to think about dinner.... my girl is on the mend....
 
Most definitely the HARDEST part is that she can't swim. For a girl who did this almost EVERYDAY this summer it makes her "sad". She prayed in the car just today and said "please help me not be sad because I can't swim anymore" :( Breaks my heart.
 
BUT... she will be a-ok... it could have been worse and we are on the road to recovery. Much to be thankful for....

No comments: