Thursday, March 18, 2010

Overwhelmed

Some of you may have seen my status update on FB and some maybe not. The word is not always negative. In fact...yesterday, it was not.

I saw my friend....her precious Hubby (DC) allowed me to bypass the "family only" rule since we pretty much ARE family and snuck me in to see her. I had no expectations though I'd be lying if I said I didn't have HOPES....her memory is piece meal and there were no guarantees that she would even remember me... in fact some of the most important people in her life she is having a hard time with...

I warned DC that I am really NOT good in situations like this with tubes, machines, and scary stuff and it was entirely possible that I could pass out :) I'm the strong friend right? :) But we walked into her room, she looked up, saw me and sat up with arms outstretched and said "I'VE MISSED YOU!!!!" I leaned down to hug her gently and DC and I were both thinking the same thing... She has NO IDEA who I am.....

I quickly sat down in a chair next to her and we held hands. She kept saying that she missed me and through tears for both of us I said I've missed you too....you have lots of information that I need....this is true. I talk to Laurie everyday. EVERYDAY. She is my go-to for mothering, for friendship, for recipes, for fun, for a listening ear. She replied "I know." tee hee hee

She and DC chatted back and forth about their kids, him asking her questions, she doing the best she could to answer and I could tell it was taking everything she had.

Then DC posed the question to her.... "Laurie, do you know who this is?"

She looked at me and said... "YES, it's CountryMouse" (except insert my REAL NAME for CountryMouse :) and we both burst into tears.

Oh I had no expectations but I had hope that she would know me. That the history of our friendship would be running through to her core and that I would be, as we have come to say, "in the know" :) with Laurie. I could not have had a better day. I could not have been MORE overwhelmed.

3 comments:

Mama H said...

*SQUEEZE*

Anonymous said...

What a special moment for you, Country Mouse!! I am glad that you got to see her, and that she got to see YOU!!! You two have been amazing friends.....We are all lucky to have you in our lives....

- LJC

Anonymous said...

Thank God for these precious moments in our lives! I'm crying again but with happy tears of gratitude. love CM