Friday, November 11, 2016

25 Years

Twenty-five years ago I left school early because I lost 12lbs in 2 weeks, I couldn't stay awake to do my hair in the morning before school, I couldn't be without water and was drinking it by the gallons (literally), and I couldn't make it through a 40 minute class without asking to go to the bathroom 2-3 times.

Twenty-five years ago, I was SO thirsty I grabbed a pint of "high fructose corn syrup" from the café before leaving study hall (which my BFF from high school told me TODAY in Target... "I remember that day... you left study hall") to wait for CountryMum to pick me up in the office.

Twenty-five years ago I sat in a doctor's office and PRAYED it wouldn't be cancer. My grandfather and aunt had both died the year before... I PRAYED it wasn't that...

Casually I looked at the pamphlet on the wall describing the symptoms of diabetes.

They checked my blood sugar. It was OVER 800 because the meter couldn't read it. A "normal" persons blood sugar is between 80-120.... the doctor told my Mom to take me IMMEDIATELY across the street to the hospital. CountryMum wondered if we might be able to go home and get clothes, etc. and he said, go immediately across the street.

The rest of it is a blur... I remember an RN who was NASTY but finally told me like it was... she told me life would never be the same, I would be on injections, shots (to a 13 year old girl) she told me it was going to be awful and that now was the time to just cry about it. I remember J.T. coming down the hall while they took my IV's out and I was screaming... she ran into my room and said "I don't know what you just did to my friend but DON'T do it AGAIN!" :) I remember the first time I gave myself an injection in my belly... I remember the first night in the hospital and when my blood sugar finally came down how awful I felt and I called the CountryRents... I remember they told me to buzz the nurses...I remember hearing a story about CountryDad making a visit.....

I remember spending a week in the hospital... I watched Field of Dreams and learned about how to check my sugar and give myself shots... you know... just what every 13 year old wants to be doing...

SOMEHOW... the next 10+ years or so I managed (read: God protected).... the CountryRents stuck with... JJ adapted to his new normal (it doesn't JUST effect the kid diagnosed ... there are other siblings who need to adjust) I went through my rebellious phases and then.....then.... when Husband and I got married we talked about insulin pump therapy... it has been a LIFE CHANGER. I admit there are times I want to drive over it with my car but the spontaneity and the freedom it has given me/us.... the flexibility... the BABIES... I HAD TWO BABIES on an insulin pump AU NATURAL! I mean seriously...

I was told when I was diagnosed there would be a cure in 5 years... huh...

I had seen on FB the information from P-Pods about doing a blue streak for November and Juvenile Diabetes Awareness... I'm always up for fun and crazy but this year it struck a chord... I did the math... 25 years... 25 years I have been stabbing myself to check my blood sugar, giving myself injections, worrying people around me, doing site changes and most recently sensor changes... all including needles... sharp, pointy objects. (hate 'em)

Never in my WILDEST dreams did I expect or anticipate the amount of support and love I felt in my circle tonight. (and I have seriously seen some love and support in my life) ~ friends and family came, supported, hung out, and most even got a blue streak! :)





Special shout out to Alyssa for helping us through! :)



I LOVE finding pictures like this on my camera at the end of a night :)



Chelsey has a brother in law and sister in law with Type 1






The wild and crazy crew... Love them!

Gals that contributed but couldn't make the night... I can't explain how overwhelmed I was...
Pic courtesy of Tamarah

Pic "stolen" from Dawn's FB
Photography by Miss B ;)
 My BIGGEST support and the reason to stay healthy ~ I pray everyday they will always have completely working, functioning, 100% healthy islets of langerhans :)
 
 

No comments: