Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Survival of the fittest

Nature has a way of weeding things out. Recently, (ok so it was this afternoon when it finally CLICKED to me) on my commute home I had seen a duck with her little flock of baby ducks. (insert sound of screeching) What? "You live in Northern New England Country Mouse, why are there baby ducklings out and about now? Shouldn't all the birds be headed to see Tracy in her warm 70 degree weather?"

Why yes... yes they should. CountryMum confirmed this when today (after two weeks or so of noticing this brood hanging out on the side of the road during my commute home) I called her to ask if this was "normal". Today it caused me some concern because in the past few weeks I have had to wait while this Mama has taken her flock across the road and there were at LEAST a dozen or so... ok, I might be exaggerating. I have been known to do that now and then. But SERIOUSLY there were at LEAST 8-10. That's no joke.

Today, I drove by and there were just 3-4. Mama Duck was bathing herself in a sad little (freezing cold I'm sure) puddle at the end of a development that's going in with her little chicks not a foot away from her. And the flock had DEF. dwindled in size. OH. NO.!!! This was concerning. (Hence the call to CountryMum)

For those of you that know me... I mean REALLY know me... I HATE BIRDS. I actually loathe them. The horror film, The Birds, yeah, I'll never watch that. I eat chicken and I'm HAPPY about that. Husband once asked me if I could eliminate from this earth one species what would it be. Birds. Hands down. I HATE them.

But a Mama and her babies... at the end of October...when our nights have been getting down to below freezing and she's down at LEAST 4-6 babies... that just is NOT ok. :(

I called, of course, CountryDad who informed me that they were wild animals and it is illegal to put them in captivation. Who knew? He also told me that was nature. My response... "I don't LIKE this part of "nature" :( So I called the Audubon Society who of course had gone home for the night, I called the Animal Shelter who also did not answer and then I stopped...

Luke 12:6-7 ~ Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. 7 Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Matt 25:37-40 ~"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Psalms: 139:13-14 ~ 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

All these came to mind. How thankful I am, how grateful, how blessed that no matter what "issues", trials, physical hindrances I have... GOD LOVES ME. It is ok if I am not the healthiest, the strongest. He has a plan for me regardless.

He loves that little family of birds and He IS concerned about them. But how I can REST in His love, His forgiveness, His mercy and be lifted up. I am NOT the fittest. I would not "survive" in nature... but God protects me. He loves me. He LIFTS me up.

I'm not sure what will happen to those birds. I will try calling again tomorrow but I'm not optimistic. I'll keep you posted....

No comments: