Monday, July 12, 2010

The things I SHOULD have said...

The CountryRents offered up at Nannie's funeral service that people could share memories or things that made Nannie... NANNIE :) I sat there thinking of all the things I COULD get up and share but knew that I wouldn't make much sense if I tried so therefore...I blog.

Her favorite color was pink...
When JJ and I were growing up and we either spent the day or an overnight with Nannie and Grampa they ALWAYS took us to McDonald's...that was a HUGE HUGE treat!
She loved flowers but NOT in the house because she had an over-sensitive nose and allergies ~ I ended up with most of her peony collection... remember??
I am the oldest grandchild AND the only girl...my birthday is the day before hers so we shared parties most years ~ besides being spoiled, being the only girl had its advantages, anytime I called Nannie all I had to say was "Hi, Nannie" and she knew it was me... the high pitch in the voice would give it away every time...
JJ and I only have two other cousins on that side Robbie and his brother James ~ they all had BOYS....I have the ONLY girl...
When we got together with our cousins in the fall and Nannie and Grampa's we would rake together a HUGE pile of leaves to jump in and call it the "annual leaf party" ~ we might have been dorks Robbie?? :) When you went to Nannie's house she was forever "cleaning off the dining room table". Honestly. Years. For years she was "cleaning off the dining room table" :)

She would make JJ Mac 'n Cheese every time he went there. It is still his favorite food.

She made me whole wheat pitas with sharp cheese cut up inside, toasted in the toaster....when I was pregnant it was one of the only things I could eat in the first 9 1/2 weeks...
She LOVED fashion magazines and I loved to look at them with her. She ordered them without the perfume ads in there because she couldn't handle the smell :) Yet, every time I saw her and gave her a hug she "sniffed" me. Every time.
When I was MUCH younger I needed to find a job and decided to put in my resume at Manpower, a job hunting agency. I had NO idea how to maneuver the "big city" so CountryMum suggested I take Nannie to get me there... she patiently guided me and then waited in the car for me to do what I needed to at Manpower
CountryDad tells a story that he and CountryMum took Nannie and Grampa to a Willie Nelson concert. That in and of itself is just funny stuff... but the best part of the story really is Nannie "sniffing" and saying... "What's that SMELL???" :) CountryDad had to explain... "it's POT, MA!" :) hee hee hee...
More recently when Nannie and Grampa were still at home but things were getting harder for them to do, L&L and kids, MIL, JJ and fam, Husband, I and the CountryRents went to get Nannie and Grampa's wood in for the winter ~ I noticed a "plastic donkey" in the shed area... I went in to ask Nannie what in the WORLD that was doing out there and she proceeded to go OFF about Grampa and how he can never get rid of anything and she had NO idea what it was doing out there and why can't he just ever throw ANYTHING away....so CountryMum suggested... "well, let's just get rid of it now... ??" Nannie quickly responded... "ah... no. It's fine. Let's just leave it where it is" :) It became a family joke and when the CountryRents were cleaning out the house... I claimed the "plastic donkey"....guess where it is now? (hint: Minnie's Room)
Growing up we spent every Mother's Day, Father's Day and major holiday with Nannie and Grampa...on CountryDad's birthday or Father's Day we would inevitably go out to lunch and of course why take two cars, so all six of us would CRAM into our car together and I would end up squished in the back seat with JJ and Grampa while we drove around on the Sunday afternoon looking at new cars or tractors...not some of my FONDEST memories... :) but Nannie had the front seat, AS she SHOULD have....
I didn't spend much time with Nannie once she moved into the nursing home...and I didn't spend any once she really started to go downhill...I want to remember her like she was to me in the things I posted above...
I want to remember calling her and saying "Hi NANNIE" and having her respond..."Hi Dear..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the annual leaf pile! And Nanny would bake us a cake to have afterwards. I don't think I was ever a dork, but you.... :) She would make me the pita and cheese in the toaster, too, and I always looked forward to her fried eggs with them when I stayed over.

I'm forever thankful that Nanny and Grandpa took care of James and I when Mom was sick- to say that was huge is an understatement. And I don't think they EVER missed a single concert, graduation, birthday party, or any 'event'- even in college and grad school- every single one I could count on them being there.

- Robbie :)

TracyMichele said...

Lovely tribute.

And completely off topic... look at the photo of you as an infant in CountryMum's arms. Um.. remind you of anyone? CLOSE YOUR MOUTH MINNIE! LOL.