Friday, March 27, 2009

Are you an "expert"?

I started thinking about this on Wednesday as I headed to a Starbucks to meet a new friend. Often I get really bad anxiety when it comes to new situations, dentist visits, doctor's visits, people I don't know, talking, etc. I know. Dramatic. :) but as I scooted up the highway on my way to meet someone new I had complete and total peace.

I knew barely anything about my new friend except for the fact that as of 10 days ago we now share a common thread. She was, at 27 years old, diagnosed with the same "fatal disease" that I have. It came from out of NO where, shocked her, her family, and her husband and has, of course, now taken over her life.

I prayed on my way to see her, I had my girlfriends praying for me, and I was EXCITED to get to talk to her. We were immediate friends and we shared for over 2 hours about what she's going through, what I went through and continue to go through and I found myself the "resident expert". It is IMPOSSIBLE to be a "perfect diabetic" but I hope through my stories, my experiences and sharing life with her that she sees although it is now a PART of her life it doesn't have to BE her life.


I started thinking about why I wasn't nervous, or anxious or sick to my stomach :) and I think I came to the conclusion that it was because I feel like I'm an "expert" in this area of my life. NOT a "model" diabetic by any means. (Lord knows, especially since I was showing her how my meter "beams" my blood sugars directly to my pump and my BS was 190! :) )


BUT that I have lived it. I have done the stages, I have made the adjustments and I am happy (and my parents are relieved I'm sure :)) to say that even though it was a little sketchy there for a few years in the begining and then again in my 20's....I think I've ended up ok with it. I have not been BACK to the hospital for an overnight stay since my diagnosis.


My disease is NOT something I want to be reminded about every time I turn around but it is something I have learned to live with. I don't WANT to be defined as a "good diabetic" because my sugars are perfect ALL the time or a "bad diabetic" because I have a bad day!


FYI ~ It doesn't "HELP" when people say "are you supposed to be eating that?" or are your "sugars ok for that cookie?" I don't know. You are 45+ lbs over-weight and I don't ask YOU if you should "have that piece of cake" :)


Harsh? Maybe. But after 17 years I think I get to make those comments. For the people around me who are just learning to adjust to a whole new way of life... and so maybe they don't have to go through all the other "emotional" stuff in a "normal person's" effort to help. My new friend K.T. will be JUST fine and I'm just here for a moment to, I hope, guide her into the next chapter and show her it REALLY isn't SO bad.


I am the RESIDENT EXPERT in my own disease and that's enough for me.


Are you an expert in something that you could offer wisdom, guidance, an ear to someone who is newly starting out on a path you have already traveled? Can you help someone else work through their season?

5 comments:

mykids4hisglory said...

Great post! I love your comment about "should you be eating that cake"...so true...and I'm TOTALLY guilty of that! Sorry...hehe
Expert no...jack of all (ok, some) trades...maybe...pick a subject...we'll chat for a minute!
HeHe

Country Mouse said...

You are not an "expert"!?!?!?!? Who do I call with ANY AND ALL medically related QUESTIONS!?!? :) You are ALWAYS there for me!!! :)

Mama H said...

I'm sure I have something...but I think a lot of people (me included) blank when we're posed with a question like this. We all have our own gifts and experiences...but when someone asks if we're an expert in an area, I freeze...hahaha.

I guess I would say that I'm a 'seasoned resume writer'...???

Anonymous said...

It's Lynne's cousin. I don't have a cool blog name...you may know me as the MK lady! Anyway, I loved this post. My husband is 38 and was diagnosed 5 years ago. I laughed when you said it doesn't help when people ask if you should be eating that. It's my husbands biggest irritation. However, I told him your response and he got a good chuckle out of it.

TracyMichele said...

I'm not an expert in much of anything (unless you consider sleep training.. haha). But I wanted to pop on and tell you how proud I am of you and how you handle it all! You GO GF.