Saturday, February 12, 2011

day 13 your five favorite books and why

The Bible ~ any question I have I find the answer there, any time I need peace, any time I need love, any time I am sad, happy, content, whatever... I find it there. At the Mom's Bible Study I go to our "mentor mom" said that one of her best friend's has a son who is in the service. There are days when she just walks around her home HOLDING her Bible and what an image that created for me....it is her comfort, her shield, her protection and her everything.

The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks ~ it was an ending I never expected and I LOVED it. That's all I'm going to say about THAT.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger ~ it was funky, hard to follow and like nothing I'd ever read before. You had to pay attention.

Moments with You by Dennis and Barbara Rainey ~ it is our devotional book every AM. Husband takes a shower, gets dressed, brings up my coffee, sits on the edge of our bed putting on his shoes while I sip my AM Java and we have a quick moment in the Word together every school day. I look forward to it. I like the ease of the devotions and the fact that they are life applicable EVERY day. They are always something that we are either going through or we can see ourselves going through soon.

I couldn't think of another "fav." but my current right now is Bringing Up Girls by Dr. James Dobson. I HATED, (I know that's a strong word) but I HATED this man growing up. CountryMum had his book How to REALLY Love Your Teenager (and the word REALLY was red and italicized) and I thought... "seriously, why am I so hard to love that she needs a BOOK ABOUT IT!?!?" Having my own teenie tiny... I can very well see already why you probably need all the help you can get "dancing through these mine fields" as Andrew Peterson says. :) I'm really enjoying this book. It is pretty "meaty" so it takes quite a bit to get through it and almost every sentence reaffirms that this whole parenting thing... is NOT for weenies.

2 comments:

Country Mom said...

So am I forgiven for leaving Dobson's BOOK on the coffee table?

Country Mouse said...

of course ~ but I'm surprised he didn't write in that book "do NOT leave out and ABOUT for volitile teenagers to see" :)