Tuesday, February 22, 2011

day 19 write about a sweet memory from your past

I'm going to blog about the first one that came to my mind... I'm actually especially proud that I HAD one come to mind... not so much because I didn't have many to choose from, only that I eat a LOT of Sweet 'n Low and artificial sweeteners and have for YEARS and I have NO memory. Often times JJ will tell a story from our childhood and I will look at him across a table in confusion and ask "Was I there? Are you sure that was us??" :) I remember NOTHING.

ANYWAY....BACK to the sweet memory... when I was little... I'm guessing 6-8-11ish? my Dad took me into our local country store that he used to work at (and later I worked at as WELL as JJ... family thing I guess) and he bought me a chocolate covered cherry. He specifically told me not to open it until later. He continued to chat with his old boss behind the counter and I.... well... I opened it. I'm guessing this was the first chocolate covered cherry I had ever enjoyed so when I bit into it I was surprised at the center and I LOST the jellied cherry out the other side of my candy. Fell right onto the floor in the store that I was NOT.SUPPOSED. TO.OPEN.IT.IN.

gone. lost the chocolate covered cherry and as most parents I'm sure would... my Dad used that opportunity as a practical lesson of obedience and there was no buying another one. Sad.

Fast forward a few 10-15 years... this story came up at the dinner table. CountryDad did not remember it and certainly had no idea how much it had effected me.
Flash forward a few months... Christmas morning... opening presents at the CountryRents and there tucked into the tree was a small white paper bag. Inside were SUGAR-FREE (because at this point I was a diabetic) and not ONE....but TWO chocolate covered cherries... just in case I ended up losing the first one...
Broke this girl into tears and even as I type it I get a little misty-eyed. Moral of the story I guess...

I was often a VERY disobedient girl but my Daddy loves me anyway and gave me LOTS of 2nd chances.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you make me cry?cd

TracyMichele said...

Love this. CountryDad kinda rocks. :)