Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Blood Sugars vs. Insulin ~ for my OWN record keeping...

a "normal" persons blood sugars are between 80-120... yours might be slightly higher say after a Thanksgiving dinner (or lots and lots of MIL's delicious pies) but for the most part... a functioning pancreas will keep you between 80-120... that's always my goal. I don't LIKE high blood sugars when I'm NOT PG and I most CERTAINLY don't like them when I'm effecting someone ELSE!

HOWEVER... as I mentioned... the placenta has kicked in FULL force and we are at the stage of PGCY (whether you are a diabetic or not your body becomes even a little insulin resistant after week 25-28ish in PGCY) and I'm struggling with taking enough insulin. *

I'm not eating anymore than I normally do (for the most part...I AM addicted to veggies and especially green beans right now :) but my example today is lunch.

Everyday at lunch I have a sandwich and chips. EVERYDAY. Prior to getting PG it was always luncheon meat and chips... after PG it has ranged from grilled cheese, to tomato sandwiches to PB & J. I love sandwiches. In my prior "normal" (because this ride is so NOT normal :) hee hee hee) life I would take 6.7 units of insulin every day for lunch and space it over the course of an hour... meaning... I'd get 6.7 units... from 12-1 everyday... worked like a charm. Sugars stayed pretty great every afternoon...

Insert MINNIE MOUSE who has started calling the insulin SHOTS (pun TOTALLY intended because really... if I can't pun about a shot well then... )

Today my sugar before lunch was 105... peeerrrfffeeccttttt right where I like it. I took my insulin 20 minutes before lunch (to give it time to work) and I took 15... yes... count them 15 units of insulin from 11:40 until 1:00PM... I ate a PB&J (and literally the smallest GLAZE of "j" you ever did see on a sandwich) and 2 hours later... 190.

Yeah.

Doesn't work for me either. Had to take 2 more units. 17 UNITS OF INSULIN FOR LUNCH. WHOA. This is not MY normal... this is a tough thing to get used to and think about for the next 3 months (and "they" tell me it is going to get WORSE!)

I just wanted to document for my own references later on... this is a crazy ride. And when it comes to taking less insulin and having my sugars "make sense" again... I'll be glad to get off in 3 months. :)

DISCLAIMER
*I am in CONSTANT communication with my RN who specializes in diabetic PGCY. We email almost daily and we are CONSTANTLY tweaking things. I also wanted to add a disclaimer that it doesn't matter how MUCH insulin you take as long as your sugars are good. It's not like pain relievers that can rot a hole in your stomach... it's all about keeping the sugars in CONTROL and if more insulin or less does that, that's what is important. How do non-diabetics know how much insulin their pancreas is spitting out? You don't. Just does it automatically.

2 comments:

TracyMichele said...

Luncheon meat/munchkins? What's the difference? *giggle*

Country Mouse said...

Nah-thin according to Papa C! :)