Monday, June 2, 2008

Education

I KNOW two non-picture, deep from my heart posts in a row. Don't get used to it. We'll be back to your regularly scheduled nonsense in no time. There IS a party tonight :)

Bear with me and remember, this is again, my blog. I mean no offense and I hope I'll be able to express clearly my actual POINT. :)

As I mentioned earlier, we went to a party on Friday night. It was a "graduation" ceremony and party for a homeschool guy that we know. Last night, we went to the "graduation" for 9 other homeschool students from our church and at our church. This weekend has given me a nice, fresh perspective.

At our church homeschooling is the "norm". I dare say that some people that homeschool come across with "attitudes" if you do not homeschool and choose to send your children to public school. It is definately a "clique" at our church but I think if most of us are honest, we are all part of one. Just tough when you go to a church where that is the main clique and you and your family are on the outside.

My personal thoughts are that educating your children and attending church have NOTHING to do with the other. That is not how it has seemed at our church for a very long time. This causes division. In relationships, in hearts, in fellowship. My thoughts, all of it very wrong. On both sides. The ones doing the "holier than though" and the ones "being offended".

This weekend, I was offered a glimpse, (and I feel God sort of smacking the "offended" upside the head :) of a very simple thing. Parents do what they feel is best for their children. End of story. Let me say it again. Parents do what THEY feel is best for THEIR children.

I watched fathers give their daughters diplomas, I watched mothers being honored by their husbands for a job well done, I watched sons and dads embracing, both trying to hold back tears. Love. They love their children and want what is best for them. Always.

I think most of you (because most of you have children) are probably sitting there reading and going "DUH!" :) but for me... it was a new perspective to the homeschool community that was refreshing.

I don't care WHERE your children receive their primary education, you are all doing what you feel is BEST for your children and your family. Kudos to you. Keep up the great work. And don't let educational choices hinder relationships. Get out there and shine your light.

3 comments:

TracyMichele said...

Good post and good points. That is a point I try to make over and over on my message board. None of us (well, none of us who are sane) will ever be presented with 2 options and consciously choose the option that we feel would harm our child.. physically, emotionally, spiritually or even educationally (is that even a word!? haha). If we were all raised the same, how boring woud it be to meet our spouse? We would have nothing to talk about on a first date. We would have no experiences to share with our teens. We would have no words of wisdom for our friends who were struggling in one area or another.

Good post, CountryMouse.. good post.

(oh yeah, and I am happy to see you have a fresh perspective on hs'ing. Sounds like a lovely graduation for that family!)

ayellis said...

for a guy you know? I'm not kidlet any more?

my heart feels like it will burst.

Country Mouse said...

Don't talk crazy. You are still kidlet. :) Nice try.